Application for O level Music
The O level Music Course (2018 - 2019) is now open for registration for all current Sec 2 Exp and N(A) students, as long as they are promoted to Sec 3 Exp/NA in 2019. It is also available to the current Sec 3 N(A) students if they intend to pursue their O levels after completing their N levels.
Your child has been briefed on this matter by your Music teacher the crucial information are as follows:
- Your child will need to have a few years (3 or more) of experience playing musical instruments
- You will need to complete the registration online before 4th July.
- You child will need to pass the selection test administered by MOE in order to take the O level Music as a subject in Sec 3
- There will be two component for the selection tests - written test and Audition. Those with a grade 4 pass from ABRSM or equivalent standards may be excused from the audition.
- The written test will consist of two components - Music Theory and Music Perception
- Music Theory – Questions on assessing students’ understanding of basic music concepts as well as musical terms and signs.
- Musical Perception – Students will listen to two short musical extracts and complete a series of short-answer questions.
- Please note that O level music will be an additional subject in addition to the other subjects that your will have to take in Sec 3.
- However, as it is considered a coursework subject, your child will not be eligible to opt for Design Technology, Food and Nutrition or Art as an O level subject if he/she is enrolled as an O level Music student.
- Moreover, your child will be required to attend afternoon lessons in another school that serves as a Music center. This will require additional time and commitment from your child. There will also be additional homework and projects that your child will need to undertake as part of the O level Music coursework.
- Thus it is important you discuss with your child to ensure that he/ she is able to cope with all the subjects and is able to commit the time and energy before enrolling him/ her for O level Music.
If your child is able to commit the time and effort and is interested in the subject, please complete the application online following the steps below:
- Go to the website https://bit.ly/2I3nno4 and submit your application before 4th July.
- Printout and sign the automated email reply that will be sent to your email (that you specified during the application)
- Submit the signed document to the General Office of Fairfield Methodist School (Secondary) before 5th July.
- When submitting the document, please place them in a large envelope (please do not fold the forms). Please address the envelope to "Ms Noella, Music Coordinator".
As the school will need to endorse and submit the consolidated entries to MOE by 9th July 2018 at the latest, please submit the document to us as early as possible. We will fax the info over to MOE on 9th July, morning. Late entries will not be entertained by MOE.