Fairfield was started by Miss Sophia Blackmore with a class of 8 Nonya girls in 1888. Only a handful of schools in Singapore have a longer history than Fairfield. In 1912, when Miss Mary Olson was the Principal, the school expanded, moving to Neil Road and was named Fairfield Girls’ School, in honour of a generous donor, Mr Fairfield.
In 1958, the name of Fairfield Girls’ School was changed to Fairfield Methodist Girls’ School. 1983 marked a new era in the history of Fairfield. It went co-educational with its re-location to Dover Road as two schools: Fairfield Methodist Primary and Fairfield Methodist Secondary Schools.
In 2009, to highlight the shared heritage of the two schools, their names were changed to Fairfield Methodist School (Primary) and Fairfield Methodist School (Secondary).